The thermal management specialist specifies and develops new HVAC concepts, enables the optimal thermal management and will create models of these concepts for different transport solutions. The main products you will focus on will be developing new or improving the current HVAC solutions.
Thermal Management Specialist
Our society is becoming more sustainable and cleaner. The conventional polluting bus therefore does not fit into the existing streetscape. This leads for the city bus in a transition from conventional powertrains (diesel) to alternative drives (hybrid and electric). This development in public transport creates new challenges every day related to the climate control of the bus. Where the diesel engine comes up with a lot of waste heat which could be used for warming up the cabin, the source of heat is lacking in the electric drive. Sustainable heat must therefore be supplied by means of electrical energy (battery). But also for the coach, we are continually looking for smarter and more energy efficient climate systems.
Within this job you can use your creativity to come up with all kind of new HVAC solutions. Furthermore you will be involved in several project teams to support the development of new HVAC concepts. Finally you will create models of the HVAC solutions and the cabins to investigate the controlling, energy efficiency and passenger comfort of the different solutions.
The main tasks:
- Study the product requirement and specifications and investigate the feasibility of HVAC concepts
- Come up with description of the system and design requirements and specifications
- Modelling of the new HVAC solutions to investigate energy efficiency, controlling and passenger comfort
- Cabin modelling to investigate the thermoregulation for the different transport solutions
- Investigate passenger and driver comfort related to all kind of HVAC solutions
- Generation of HVAC and cabin concepts with project partners
- Project management of VDL ETS in the developing projects of new HVAC solutions
- Perform detailed thermal analysis and define measurement setup for function approval, validation and verification
- Investigate smart controlling of the HVAC solutions in the scope of optimal thermal management of the transport solutions
- Contribute to system roadmaps on thermal management and HVAC.
- A master degree in engineering
- Experience with mechanical design principles, dynamic behavior, transport phenomena and material properties
- Experience with Matlab Simulink, AMEsim or related (physical) modelling tools.
- Knowledge of in the area of thermal management and flow control on liquids and gasses.
- Abstract thinking, out-of-the box thinking, analytical attitude
- Effective communication with all levels and disciplines. Clear and structured way of reporting.
- Able to challenge others, to come up with even better ideas
- Good knowledge of the English and Dutch language
- Contribution to the development of a state-of-the-art, high-tech transport solutions
- Dynamic environment.
- Work together in multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to connect mechanical development with production- and test-environment
- You will be a part of the international industrial family business, the VDL Groep, where continuity is paramount.
Do you want to be part of zero emission transport developments and work in an innovative environment with latest and greatest technology? Then you could be our new colleague!
VDL ETS focuses on research, development and testing of new possibilities, in particular for transport-related activities of VDL companies. The objective is to develop environmentally-friendly and innovative hardware and software solutions in the field of electric transport (E-mobility), battery technology, charging infrastructure, energy storage, automated guided vehicles (AGVs), and guidance and navigation technology.